Why Join DWCF? As a DWCF member, you will belong to a community of like-minded women and men working to keep Florida blue. You will have exciting opportunities to make a difference.
- Participate in legislative advocacy
- Attend lobbying opportunities in state capitol -“DWCF Tally Days”
- Attend annual Democratic Women’s Club of Florida conventions
- Participate in training about political issues and advocacy; local and state speakers, educational teleconferences and workshops
- Work with your local club members to support your community
- Enjoy a forum for political discussion
- Volunteer and contribute in many ways, using and honing your skills and aptitudes
- Receive Democratic Women’s Club of Florida email updates and newsletters
- Advocate for causes in which you believe, and help elect qualified Democratic candidates.
Our History The DWCF had it’s official beginning in 1956 although there had been individual Democratic women’s clubs in our state for many years. The organizational meeting for a state club took place at the Princess Martha Hotel in St. Petersburg on May 24, 1956, which was the day chosen by Eleanor Roosevelt as Democratic Women’s Day. We received our charter as a corporation in 1972.
In 1980 we joined the National Federation of Democratic Women after attending the two previous conventions. From that small beginning in 1956, under the leadership of its first President, Mrs. James Haley of Bradenton, The Democratic Women’s Club of Florida, Inc. now consists of nine regions, representing over 40 clubs. The spirit of volunteerism is just as alive today as it was in 1956.
Members and guests are trained in leadership and campaign skills through a variety of curricula offerings. Members help to recruit women to run for political office and manage campaigns.
The Legislative Committee serves as the hub of activities during the Legislative Session as members monitor and lobby for or against legislation that has a dramatic impact on the lives of the citizens of Florida and particularly the women of Florida. Our goal is Equal Representation from the Court House to the White House and no less!